Monday, March 31, 2014

Party

Saturday continued....

Party Extravaganza

The wow factor hit us full in the face. The party was "just because." Bonnie's niece threw this extravaganza at her home and two hundred or more of us enjoyed the magnificent celebration centered around her favorite singer Sonan Kalra and the Sufi Gospel Project. The music, a convergence of drums, sitar, flute, guitar, piano-like keyboard, their voices, and the light show that flitted over the players and the palm trees, created some magic-the sound spun a web and we were rapt. 
We sank into seats on the long sofas that were three-deep in front of the stage. Other guests layered out behind us to the outskirts of the manicured lawn and flower gardens. I have never seen dahlias so huge.

Sonan happens to be a Sikh like Tony. No turban but females also are not supposed to cut their hair. Her religious belief suffuses her music. The truth is all. Love is all. All is one. All religions valid. Everyone get along, okay? 

Waiters circulated with trays of appetizing tidbits from chunks of tandoori chicken to crunchy prawns and savory eggplant and vegetable concoctions with dipping sauces.  Bars were set up at either end of the expansive lawn which was sprinkled with table-clothed tables sprouting bouquets of flowers. 

The buffet dinner served at 11pm overwhelmed me with choices. I managed. Tony handed me a popsicle-looking thing that tasted like banana and was filled with nuts. I did not dribble on my dress.
After Sonan's two encores, the music continued with local voices and talent. 

We got home at 2 am. India time runs differently than American time when I seldom last until midnight on New Year's Eve.

4 comments:

  1. Forgive me, but all I can say is Holy Cow.

    The Sufi Gospel Project!

    You are so lovely in your dress (and new hair).

    What a send-off. (Love that "I managed." Yes, I can imagine you did.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really loved your epic trip and excellent narrative. A great virtual tour! Safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Moly, You guys really walked right into it!! You both look great in the role. I'll have to look for the Sufi Gospel Project. Sent you a note about Cousin Sue Darlington speaking at Smith on 5 April. We fly tonight. Love Doug

    ReplyDelete